Follow The BCI

Blog posts

Cyber security in the WannaCry age

Cyber security in the WannaCry age

Blog posts   •   May 19, 2017 15:48 BST

One way to effectively build and maintain organizational resilience on an enterprise level is creating a cyber security program that repels and recovers from cyber attacks, following the Four Rs of Resilience: Robustness, Redundancy, Resourcefulness, and Rapidity. For our purposes with regards to WannaCry, let’s focus on just two factors: Robustness and Redundancy.

Cyber resilience is critical in the digital age

Cyber resilience is critical in the digital age

Blog posts   •   May 17, 2017 11:22 BST

As business enters the digital age, cyber resilience must become a regular agenda item for boards and excos. Nobody can identify and prepare for all the risks that threaten ICT systems, so it is essential that security and risk mitigation measures are part of a wider programme to ensure that the organisation can detect a cyber attack, respond appropriately and recover operational functionality.

We’re not going to say I told you so… but we did tell you

We’re not going to say I told you so… but we did tell you

Blog posts   •   May 16, 2017 10:25 BST

“Maybe you are busy looking for a way to recover your files but do not waste your time. Nobody can recover your files without our decryption service”. This is what users infected by the WannaCry virus read on their screens having accidentally let the malware in.

NHS Trusts in England hit by ransomware attacks

NHS Trusts in England hit by ransomware attacks

Blog posts   •   May 12, 2017 17:36 BST

​NHS services across England have been hit by an IT failure caused by a significant cyber attack, with Trusts and hospitals in London, Blackburn, Nottingham, Cumbria and Hertfordshire all affected. Some GP surgeries have shut down their phone and IT systems while Accident and Emergency Departments have told people not to attend unless it is a real emergency.

35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

Blog posts   •   Mar 22, 2017 12:11 GMT

Password leaks from public breaches help us learn how people think, allow us to identify patterns and build dictionaries of passwords. As password cracking methods evolve, Upper characters, Lower characters, Special characters and Digits (ULSD) recommendations and password complexity mean less.

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

Blog posts   •   Dec 01, 2016 16:24 GMT

We have recently seen two significant cyber attacks on big businesses hitting the news, and these are just the ones we know about. The ability for hackers to gain access to systems through technical means is not to be underestimated, and specialists work tirelessly to build and maintain secure systems that are now integral to our business and personal lives.

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Blog posts   •   Apr 21, 2016 16:49 BST

​Sometimes when I visit banks I find myself looking at scribbled Post-it notes containing user name and password attached to PCs. I may also see a neatly typed record of the key code necessary to access a secure gate or door within easy sight of any external visitor.

​Business continuity and cyber security: two sides of the same coin

​Business continuity and cyber security: two sides of the same coin

Blog posts   •   May 18, 2015 15:38 BST

The increasingly connected world magnifies the impact of every outage or event. Costs associated with cyber attacks and data breaches are rising. We all know that data breaches and cyber attacks can cause a material disruption to business processes. The impact of lost data or unplanned downtime can be catastrophic, resulting in lost revenue, reputation and competitive position.