Follow The Business Continuity Institute

Tags

business continuity 214 bci 53 business continuity institute 37 conference 33 BCI World 32 business continuity planning 26 exercise 26 business continuity awareness week 23 BCAW2016 22 bcaw2015 22 return on investment 19 BCAW2017 13 risk 11 resilience 11 supply chain 10 social media 8 cyber security 8 bcaw 2013 8 Brexit 6 research 6 organizational resilience 5 Middle East 5 risk management 5 ISO22301 4 flooding 4 education month 4 flashblog 4 cpd 4 20 in their 20s 4 Horizon Scan 4 ransomware 4 cyber attack 4 disaster recovery 3 bci awards 3 bcm 3 continuing professional development 3 politics 3 executive forum 3 good practice guidelines 3 crisis management 3 awareness 3 counting the cost 3 bcaw 3 BIA 3 horizon scanning 3 plan b consulting 3 bcaw 2014 3 independence 2 dbci 2 workshop 2 Business Impact Analysis 2 colleges 2 reputation 2 information security 2 twitter 2 emergency communications 2 bs 65000 2 black swans 2 careers 2 Clearview Continuity 2 exercising 2 business continuity plan 2 scotland 2 cyber threat 2 practice 2 the bc eye 2 IBM 2 inspiring the future 2 referendum 2 virus 2 industrial action 2 terrorism 2 testing 2 black swan 2 20/20 2 critical infrastructure 2 future 2 bcp 2 Everbridge 2 insurance 2 schools 2 adverse weather 2 mobile technology 1 heatwave 1 ebola 1 business resilience forum 1 lessons 1 united kingdom 1 cmi 1 regulation 1 PwC 1 Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center 1 India 1 recovery time objective 1 cyber resilience 1 telecom disruption 1 game show 1 BSI 1 it risk 1 recovery 1 bcm software 1 tube strike 1 2013 threats 1 facilities 1 bcm world conference 1 commonwealth games 1 iso 27001 1 cybr attack 1 british standards institute 1 imt 1 response 1 certification 1 thought leadership 1 plan 1 information technology 1 cyber attacks 1 7/7 1 curtin & co 1 bcm world conference and exhibition 2013 1 internship 1 49ers 1 superbowl 1 industral dispute 1 zika 1 acronyms 1 staff 1 organisational resilience 1 nfl 1 pandemic 1 earthquake 1 cyber securuity 1 small business 1 postal strike 1 ravens 1 student 1 EU referendum 1 world cup 1 c-suite 1 Yahoo! 1 philippines 1 strikes 1 cmt 1 Databarracks 1 business continuity programme 1 insider threat 1 debate 1 picture 1 communications 1 crises control 1 volunteer 1 thought leadership in business continuity 1 paddington bear 1 imagery 1 business resilience 1 rto 1 veritas 1 General Election 1 fire 1 cyber 1 phoenix 1 national sickie day 1 new year resolutions 1 Sungard 1 manufacturing 1 standards 1 ibm resiliency services 1 sony 1 #BCAW2016 1 mentoring 1 policy and programme management 1 glasgow 2014 1 planning 1 design and implementation 1 notification 1 award ceremonies 1 threat analysis 1 disease 1 test 1 peru 1 business continuity management 1 incident management 1 outsourcing 1 human resources 1 iso27001 1 RBCA 1 risk assessments 1 crisis response 1 20/20 vision 1 bcm lifecycle 1 compliance 1 Sungard AS 1 mca 1 iso 22301 1 futurology 1 professional 1 incident response 1 continuity2 1 blogging 1 Greece 1 scenario 1 psychology 1 c-suite toolkit 1 disaster 1 data breach 1 maths 1 non profit 1 awards ceremony 1 it risk management 1 fotune 1 damage management 1 collaboration 1 disruption 1 crisis guardian 1 outbreak 1 continuous professional development 1 Pinsent Masons 1 risk managment 1 Turkey 1 Donald Trump 1 embedding bc 1 qualifications 1 Bucks New University 1 passwords 1 reputational risk 1 coventry university 1 cloud 1 training. 1 information 1 smartphone 1 rpo 1 c-suite engagement 1 cyber crime 1 public sector 1 blue swan 1 sustainability 1 steelhenge 1 learning from experience 1 global awards 2012 1 retail 1 audit 1 it disruption 1 power failure 1 bc strategy 1 crisis communications 1 SME 1 continuity shop 1 service failure 1 hp 1 milton keynes 1 Pinsent-Masons 1 mkbrf 1 security 1 typhoon haiyan 1 cybercrime 1 New Zealand 1 mobile working 1 mtpd 1 houses of parliament 1 Show all tags
Cyber security in the WannaCry age

Cyber security in the WannaCry age

Blog posts   •   May 19, 2017 15:48 BST

One way to effectively build and maintain organizational resilience on an enterprise level is creating a cyber security program that repels and recovers from cyber attacks, following the Four Rs of Resilience: Robustness, Redundancy, Resourcefulness, and Rapidity. For our purposes with regards to WannaCry, let’s focus on just two factors: Robustness and Redundancy.

Cyber resilience is critical in the digital age

Cyber resilience is critical in the digital age

Blog posts   •   May 17, 2017 11:22 BST

As business enters the digital age, cyber resilience must become a regular agenda item for boards and excos. Nobody can identify and prepare for all the risks that threaten ICT systems, so it is essential that security and risk mitigation measures are part of a wider programme to ensure that the organisation can detect a cyber attack, respond appropriately and recover operational functionality.

We’re not going to say I told you so… but we did tell you

We’re not going to say I told you so… but we did tell you

Blog posts   •   May 16, 2017 10:25 BST

“Maybe you are busy looking for a way to recover your files but do not waste your time. Nobody can recover your files without our decryption service”. This is what users infected by the WannaCry virus read on their screens having accidentally let the malware in.

NHS Trusts in England hit by ransomware attacks

NHS Trusts in England hit by ransomware attacks

Blog posts   •   May 12, 2017 17:36 BST

​NHS services across England have been hit by an IT failure caused by a significant cyber attack, with Trusts and hospitals in London, Blackburn, Nottingham, Cumbria and Hertfordshire all affected. Some GP surgeries have shut down their phone and IT systems while Accident and Emergency Departments have told people not to attend unless it is a real emergency.

35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

Blog posts   •   Mar 22, 2017 12:11 GMT

Password leaks from public breaches help us learn how people think, allow us to identify patterns and build dictionaries of passwords. As password cracking methods evolve, Upper characters, Lower characters, Special characters and Digits (ULSD) recommendations and password complexity mean less.

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

Blog posts   •   Dec 01, 2016 16:24 GMT

We have recently seen two significant cyber attacks on big businesses hitting the news, and these are just the ones we know about. The ability for hackers to gain access to systems through technical means is not to be underestimated, and specialists work tirelessly to build and maintain secure systems that are now integral to our business and personal lives.

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Blog posts   •   Apr 21, 2016 16:49 BST

​Sometimes when I visit banks I find myself looking at scribbled Post-it notes containing user name and password attached to PCs. I may also see a neatly typed record of the key code necessary to access a secure gate or door within easy sight of any external visitor.

​Business continuity and cyber security: two sides of the same coin

​Business continuity and cyber security: two sides of the same coin

Blog posts   •   May 18, 2015 15:38 BST

The increasingly connected world magnifies the impact of every outage or event. Costs associated with cyber attacks and data breaches are rising. We all know that data breaches and cyber attacks can cause a material disruption to business processes. The impact of lost data or unplanned downtime can be catastrophic, resulting in lost revenue, reputation and competitive position.