Follow The Business Continuity Institute

Tags

business continuity 200 bci 53 business continuity institute 34 conference 33 BCI World 32 business continuity planning 26 exercise 24 business continuity awareness week 23 BCAW2016 22 bcaw2015 22 return on investment 19 resilience 11 risk 11 supply chain 10 social media 8 BCAW2017 8 bcaw 2013 8 research 6 organizational resilience 5 middle east 5 risk management 5 20 in their 20s 4 flooding 4 flashblog 4 Horizon Scan 4 ISO22301 4 cyber attack 4 cyber security 4 cpd 4 education month 4 Brexit 4 horizon scanning 3 continuing professional development 3 bcaw 3 bcm 3 crisis management 3 good practice guidelines 3 bcaw 2014 3 counting the cost 3 awareness 3 plan b consulting 3 executive forum 3 bci awards 3 BIA 3 careers 2 black swan 2 independence 2 inspiring the future 2 business continuity plan 2 bcp 2 IBM 2 scotland 2 exercising 2 black swans 2 the bc eye 2 Business Impact Analysis 2 colleges 2 dbci 2 adverse weather 2 bs 65000 2 critical infrastructure 2 future 2 Everbridge 2 schools 2 twitter 2 virus 2 workshop 2 testing 2 emergency communications 2 industrial action 2 information security 2 Clearview Continuity 2 disaster recovery 2 referendum 2 cyber threat 2 mkbrf 1 security 1 typhoon haiyan 1 cybercrime 1 New Zealand 1 mobile working 1 mtpd 1 houses of parliament 1 mobile technology 1 heatwave 1 ebola 1 business resilience forum 1 lessons 1 united kingdom 1 cmi 1 regulation 1 practice 1 PwC 1 Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center 1 recovery time objective 1 cyber resilience 1 telecom disruption 1 game show 1 BSI 1 it risk 1 recovery 1 bcm software 1 award ceremonies 1 tube strike 1 2013 threats 1 facilities 1 bcm world conference 1 commonwealth games 1 ransomware 1 iso 27001 1 cybr attack 1 british standards institute 1 imt 1 response 1 certification 1 thought leadership 1 plan 1 information technology 1 cyber attacks 1 7/7 1 curtin & co 1 bcm world conference and exhibition 2013 1 internship 1 49ers 1 superbowl 1 terrorism 1 industral dispute 1 zika 1 acronyms 1 staff 1 organisational resilience 1 nfl 1 pandemic 1 earthquake 1 small business 1 postal strike 1 ravens 1 student 1 EU referendum 1 world cup 1 c-suite 1 Yahoo! 1 philippines 1 strikes 1 cmt 1 business continuity programme 1 debate 1 picture 1 communications 1 crises control 1 thought leadership in business continuity 1 paddington bear 1 imagery 1 business resilience 1 20/20 1 rto 1 disease 1 cyber 1 phoenix 1 national sickie day 1 new year resolutions 1 Sungard 1 standards 1 ibm resiliency services 1 sony 1 #BCAW2016 1 mentoring 1 policy and programme management 1 glasgow 2014 1 design and implementation 1 notification 1 veritas 1 threat analysis 1 test 1 peru 1 business continuity management 1 incident management 1 outsourcing 1 human resources 1 iso27001 1 RBCA 1 risk assessments 1 crisis response 1 20/20 vision 1 bcm lifecycle 1 compliance 1 Sungard AS 1 mca 1 iso 22301 1 futurology 1 professional 1 incident response 1 continuity2 1 blogging 1 greece 1 scenario 1 c-suite toolkit 1 disaster 1 data breach 1 maths 1 non profit 1 awards ceremony 1 it risk management 1 reputation 1 fotune 1 damage management 1 disruption 1 crisis guardian 1 outbreak 1 continuous professional development 1 Pinsent Masons 1 risk managment 1 turkey 1 Donald Trump 1 embedding bc 1 qualifications 1 Bucks New University 1 passwords 1 reputational risk 1 coventry university 1 cloud 1 training. 1 information 1 smartphone 1 rpo 1 c-suite engagement 1 cyber crime 1 public sector 1 blue swan 1 sustainability 1 steelhenge 1 learning from experience 1 global awards 2012 1 retail 1 politics 1 audit 1 insurance 1 it disruption 1 power failure 1 bc strategy 1 crisis communications 1 SME 1 continuity shop 1 service failure 1 hp 1 milton keynes 1 Show all tags
35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

35% of users have weak passwords; the other 65% can be cracked

Blog posts   •   Mar 22, 2017 12:11 GMT

Password leaks from public breaches help us learn how people think, allow us to identify patterns and build dictionaries of passwords. As password cracking methods evolve, Upper characters, Lower characters, Special characters and Digits (ULSD) recommendations and password complexity mean less.

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

​Cyber awareness – technical security is just a part of the plan

Blog posts   •   Dec 01, 2016 16:24 GMT

We have recently seen two significant cyber attacks on big businesses hitting the news, and these are just the ones we know about. The ability for hackers to gain access to systems through technical means is not to be underestimated, and specialists work tirelessly to build and maintain secure systems that are now integral to our business and personal lives.

​BCM and Security: Teaming for cyber events brings real business value

​BCM and Security: Teaming for cyber events brings real business value

Blog posts   •   May 11, 2016 16:09 BST

Preparing for the 'unexpected' is not a new idea. Over the last 50 years, the business continuity industry has grown out of the need to protect businesses from the unexpected and expected interruption. However, when we stop and think about the threats BC professionals must mitigate in today’s BC plans versus 20, 10 or even 5 years ago, all agree there is a new threat landscape.

​Why the ‘human factor’ matters in cyber resilience

​Why the ‘human factor’ matters in cyber resilience

Blog posts   •   Apr 27, 2016 16:57 BST

It is hard to get away from the presence and scale of the cyber security threat. The media is full of stories of companies who have been hit by a data breach. UK government figures from the Information Security Breaches Survey 2015 indicate that the average cost of the most severe online security breaches range from £1.5 to £3.1 million for big business and from £75,000 to £311,000 for SMEs.

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Cyber security: Do you leave your keys in plain sight?

Blog posts   •   Apr 21, 2016 16:49 BST

​Sometimes when I visit banks I find myself looking at scribbled Post-it notes containing user name and password attached to PCs. I may also see a neatly typed record of the key code necessary to access a secure gate or door within easy sight of any external visitor.

​Seven tips for cyber exercises

​Seven tips for cyber exercises

Blog posts   •   Apr 15, 2016 10:17 BST

Organisations are increasingly focused on understanding the impacts a cyber attack could have on their operations and reputation. Many are now using cyber scenarios in their crisis exercises to test and validate their assumptions on how they would respond and reflect on the unique challenges a cyber attack could bring.

Ransomware attacks continue on US hospitals

Ransomware attacks continue on US hospitals

Blog posts   •   Apr 14, 2016 09:30 BST

The 30th March was both World Back-up Day and the third day of the (suspected) largest-yet hospital ransomware attack in the United States. At the time of this writing, ten hospitals in and around Washington DC, serving hundreds of thousands of patients, are still struggling to recover after suffering an apparent ransomware attack on Monday.

​Hospital ransomware highlights the need for integrated cyber, contingency planning

​Hospital ransomware highlights the need for integrated cyber, contingency planning

Blog posts   •   Feb 24, 2016 17:17 GMT

According to media reports, Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles paid a $17,000 ransom to a hacker in order to unlock email and electronic health records that had been encrypted by malware. While the Hospital affirms that patient health was never in jeopardy, the staff’s ability to share the results of X-rays, CT scans, and other medical tests was impacted.